Monday, September 24, 2012

American Music

Mix by Oliver

Download: American Music

Nothing new here, just some good American Music.


1. Best Night, War on Drugs
Nate gave me this album as a housewarming gift.  He said he thought I'd like it, and I did!  We then had this exchange a few days later regarding this first song: 
O: Man, that album is really great.  Especially that first track, so good.
N: Oh! yeah, its so good (makes the kind of face you make when you want to express how good something is)
O: Sooo good (makes same face as above, sighs with the sound of satisfaction)

2. Alex, Girls

3. American Music, Violent Femmes
I was recently reminded of this forgotten gem.  And with a title like that, you know its gotta be some good American Music!

4. Driving Wheel, Have Moicy!

5. Muswell Hillbilly, The Kinks
Americana/Country made by an English band still counts as American Music.  I don't know what it is, but there's something about the sound created by 60s/70s rock bands attempting their version of country music that I really like.  See also: The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

6. Bend Beyond, Woods
This new Woods is quite Goods.

7. Seahorse, Devendra Banhart
Really gets down at the end of this one.

8. Thinking of a Dream, The Walkmen
Another oldie but goodie.

9. I'm Wonderin - Neil Young
At a 4th of July party many years ago, with Neil Young on the stereo, a person was heard to say: "Boy, it really doesn't get any more American than Neil Young".  That's probably the most simultaneously true and false thing I have ever heard.  Apologies for the minute-plus ramblings at the end of this live version.

10. Rex's Blues, Townes Van Zandt
11. Nine Pound Hammer, Townes Van Zandt
These are two consecutive tracks from a really good live album, Live at the Old Quarter.

12. Something to Believe, Bruce Springsteen
I was having a chat with a friend of a friend in a college bar in Vegas, and he had just put some Boss on the J-box.  I mentioned that I was going though a little bit of a Boss phase myself and he immediately got very serious and commanded me to go listen to Nebraska.  I did.

13. Too Many Birds, Bill Callahan
Sometimes, I wish we were an eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment