Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Voyages to the North

Mix by Shakey

Download: Voyages to the North

For the most part I tried to use music which I already had. That meant digging through the CDs I still have which was quite a bit of fun. There is some newer stuff on this list too because I like listening to it.
 

Brains Party by Majesticons -- Mike Ladd is a weird dude and the Majesticons project is no different. I once interviewed to work at a record shop and they asked me about the last album I had bought. It was this one and they had no idea what I was talking about. I didn't get that job.

Swim Good by Frank Ocean -- Frank Ocean and Washed Out had heavy rotation in my summer listening this year. I really dig the dub type beat in this song.     

Roots Of Dub  by King Tubby -- This is probably my favorite song in the entire world. It never fails to make me smile when I listen to it.

Future Sick by Neon Indian -- I enjoy this album quite a bit and this song is the one which usually sticks in my head.     

I'm Your Puppet by James & Bobby Purify -- The Get Busy Committee sampled this song on their recent mix tape and I remember I had it on an album. I dug out the CD and put it on this mix tape.

Laura Ling by Get Busy Committee -- Every journalist who has been imprisoned in North Korea only to be freed by Bill Clinton deserves a shout out song. The Get Busy Committee does it for us here with this banger.  
   
Heaven Or Las Vegas by The Weeknd -- The Weeknd keeps me trying to figure out how much I actually like their music. Some of it is undeniably good and some of their stuff makes want to not listen at all. This song is pretty sweet.

Posse on Broadway by Sir Mix-a-lot

Parisian Goldfish by Flying Lotus -- A few years back this song had the craziest video for it.

Supergalactic Lover by Kool Keith -- Kool Keith fueled my appetite for weird shit for a few years. Keith can be crazy and stupid and difficult to listen to. He can also lay down a track like this one which just gets me every time.

Dyon Anaswa by Lee "Scratch" Perry & The Upsetters -- The Mighty Upsetter will always be my dub hero.    

Coffin Nails by MF Doom -- This is a song which nearly always makes me happy.     
Dream Cars by Neon Neon --     

Rollin’ (Diplo Remix) by Diplo and Benzi -- Hip-Hop about excessive drug use has somehow been a theme of my listening recently so I was reminded of this song from the gem of an album Fear and Loathing in Hunts Vegas.     

Family Man    Daryl Hall & John Oates -- When Josh dropped Kiss On My List on his mix tape I couldn't resist putting up some Family Man. I love the bass line around 2:10. It kind of sounds like Peter Gunn.

'T' Plays It Cool (Used for It's Mine) by Marvin Gaye -- Damn this song is awesome.     
Acid Raindrops by People Under The Stairs -- My favorite dope song.     

Blue Bayou by Roy Orbison -- Roy Orbison is a sentimental bastard and I love it.

Ecstacy of Gold by Jay-Z -- I mostly like this song because its sample is from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

1 comment:

  1. Ok yeah, not gunna lie, that Frank Ocean track took me to another place last night. The power was out, i plugged in the 6 foot extension to my alread 3 foot Bose headphones and started jammin'. Family Man is gunna be one of my new Bike to School jams, for sure.
    New Paragraph: that MF Doom track just blows my mind, takes me to it's own world of pastel colored nebulas and happy aliens dancing their unearthly groove.
    The rest just makes me a nice level of happy, very listenable, very Shakey, and I'm ready to enjoy the Laura Ling track (loudly) on a boombox at New Years Fest, the whole mix will be perfect for field time.

    ReplyDelete