Thursday, February 23, 2012

Man of Simple Pleasures

Mix by Fieldhouse


1. Darren Korb - Build That Wall (Zia's Theme)
2. Darren Korb - Get Used To It
3. Darren Korb - Setting Sail, Coming Home (End Theme)
These first three songs come from the soundtrack of the video game Bastion. Bastion is a fun indie action-rpg that features beautiful artwork, a great soundtrack, and a narrator that describes everything your character does (really cool and doesn't get annoying). I highly recommend it.

The first song plays during the introduction of one of the characters. The second one is an example of the narrator's voice. The third one is a combination of the first song and another character's theme with a background beat added.
http://supergiantgames.com/?page_id=242

4. Pink Martini - Splendor In The Grass
5. Pink Martini - Sing
6. Pink Martini - Hey Eugene
I've become a big fan of Pink Martini over the last year or so. I used one of their songs on a previous mix, and here are three more good ones. "Sing" features Luis from Sesame Street.

7. The Bamboos - Head In The Clouds
8. The Bamboos - Step It Up
Funky, fun music.

9. Inside Out - Live My Life Today
10. Sage - I Found My Music
These two songs are from a compilation by the Numero Group, the same people who put out the Eccentric Soul mixes. This is not soul music.

11. Gene Clark - Full Circle Song
This was on one of his solo albums from after he left The Byrds.

12. Buck Owens - Act Naturally
Kristen was listening to the soundtrack from Remember the Titans, and I mentioned that this was probably my favorite song on the album. She responded that this is the song they made fun of in the movie. I looked it up, and the exact quote is "Does the term cruel and unusual punishment mean anything to you?!".

13. Justin Townes Earl - The Good Life
14. Justin Townes Earl - They Killed John Henry
15. Justin Townes Earl - A Desolate Angels Blues
Justin Townes Earl has quickly become one of my favorite singers. His song "Harlem River Blues" that I put on my last mix is one of my favorite songs of the last couple years. Here are some more good ones.

16. Ted Hawkins - Just My Imagination
This is a really pretty rendition of a classic Temptations song. Got it from one of my dad's cd's.

17. Mad Buffalo - Big Joe Walker
This is one of those random songs I've downloaded that I really like, but I don't know anything about the artist, and I've never heard anything else by them.

18. Unknown - Sweet July
No idea where I got this song or who it's by. This reminds me a little bit of Karen Dalton in the fact that her voice can be a little grating, but I still like it.

19. David Myles - Simple Pleasures
20. Jens Lekman - An Argument With Myself
These two are by a couple of my favorite singers. Both songs fall into the category of songs that have parts that annoy me, but they're still fun and catchy, so I like them overall.

21. Local Natives - Sun Hands
I think someone already put a Local Natives song on a mix, but here's another one that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment